Providing local service with care and compassion.
In 1936, Vance Ray and his wife, Lydia, established Ray Funeral Home at its current location, 119 N. Market Street in Madison. Their son Steve joined the business in 1950. Vance Ray passed away in 1977, and Lydia Ray passed away in 1980.
The original wooden structure went through a major renovation in1952 with the addition of a second story and brick veneering. In 1981, the corner lot beside the funeral home was acquired, and a chapel was constructed.
The funeral home remained under the ownership until 1986. At that time, the funeral home ownership passed from the Ray family to Forbis and Dick. This allowed the Forbis family to expand the quality of service and commitment to families that they were noted for in Guilford County into Rockingham County.
In 1997, with a desire to enhance our facilities and provide a more comforting and accommodating environment, the original funeral home was removed and was replaced with a new building. The new facilities provided two new spacious visitation rooms, a new conference room, a large casket selection room, and new office space. At that time, the chapel was renovated.
As we complete our seventy seventh year of service to the citizens of Rockingham County, our commitment remains; to service in a meaningful compassionate and professional manner that exceeds expectations.